My teaching experience

In this occasion I want to share you about my second week doing teaching and research experience. But, first I want to tell you a little about the school I was in because I forgot to do this in my first reflection paper. The school I meant was SMAN 54 Jakarta. It is located in East Jakarta, exactly at JL. Jatinegara IV, Rawa Bunga.At the first time I saw the school, I was amazed because it has a big enough building and it was very clean place. The principle of the school told me that the school is Sekolah Kategori Mandiri (SKM). It has cooperated with SMAN 68 Jakarta which is Rintisan Sekolah Bertaraf Internasional (RSBI). SMAN 54 got a lot of knowledge from SMAN 68 how to develop the school to be an RSBI. SMAN 54 has Sistem Kredit Semester (SKS) which is use Indeks Prestasi (IP) as the way the score given. The school uses moving class method.


school.discoveryeducation.com


In doing teaching experience and teacher assistant, I had to have a master teacher to guide along two weeks. Because I’d like to teach English, so my master teacher was an English teacher. She was Bu Anna Koes Endah or the students usually called her Mam Anna. Bu Anna have been teaching English for about 31 years. Bu Anna is a kind person, I think because she guided and helped my partner and I with pleasure. She introduced us with anything about being a teacher, for example about Perangkat Pembelajaran comprise Minggu Efektif, silabus, Renacana Pelaksanaan Pembelajaran (RPP), Program Tahunan, Program Semester, etc.
In this week, I had no observation activities in the classroom. On Monday and Tuesday, I did lesson planning with my partner and of course with Bu Anna. Based on the plan, we would taught XG students. We asked her what topic in the text book that haven’t discussed in the class. Bu Anna suggested us to teach about Quantifiers. That topic was taught for 2 meetings, on Wednesday and Thursday, and each meeting had 2x45 minutes. At the first day we taught, we used deductive method by explaining them about quantifiers. Below are the activities my partner and I did on the first day:
•    Opening activities
We began the lesson with greeting and did ice braking by 3S (Senyum, Salam, Sapa) and Update Status like Pak Iwan usually did. We expected the students didn’t know about 3S, but they have knew before about it. Although, they’ve knew about it before, they were still exciting. We’re happy about it.
•    Main  activities
My partner began the lesson by asking them a question, she tried to use open question which is the one of process question ’ Have you heard about quantifiers?’, ‘What do you know about quantifiers?’. She tried to make the students answer her question no matter it’s wrong or right. Using slide show, then she continued by explaining quantifiers using direct method. Direct instruction make the students more active, not passive (Leindhardt,2001). I agree with it. As I observed when my partner taught almost of them answer a quiz that her gave. I continued explaining about quantifiers. Same with my partner I used direct method, I asked the students to give an example about something, called their names to answer my question, explaining every sentences in the slide show, etc. We decided to use direct instruction because quantifiers is a new thing for them. It’s like what Paik (2003) states that effective direct instruction should consist 6 activities one of them is presentation of new content and skill. Then we asked them to make a list as many as they can with noun phrase consist of quantifiers for example ‘many students’. After the class finished we corrected their answer and gave them a feedback. Based on Paik (2003) corrective feedback and instructional reinforcement is one aspect that make direct method effective.
•    Closing activities
One of activities that Paik (2003) states should consist to make an effective direct instruction is clear teaching, daily review, and homework checks, so I tried to do review about the lesson they have learned today by asking them some question about quantifiers. I also gave them homework, print out of the slide show and did evaluation by asking them what did they think about our teaching. Many of them said that it was fun but a few of them that it was flat.
In the second day we taught we tried to do something different by provided them a game. Below are the activities we did in the second day:
•    Opening activities
It was same with the first day. We did greeting, warming up (3S), review yesterday lesson about quantifiers.
•    Main activities
I started the lesson by asking them whether they have some homework or not. Then we discussed the homework one by one. I can say that our teaching a day before  was effective because when we discussed it together in the class, they answer every question well and could explain why they chose the answer. After that we did a game. We assigned them to make a group of 10 person so we have 4 groups. We tried to use collaborative instruction approach here. We assigned the students to make a list of sentences that consist of quantifiers noun phrases as many as possible. As I observed they seem exciting with the game, even though they didn’t know they would got a present if they won. We discussed the game and the winner was group 1. They was very happy when I gave them a pack of chocolate as the present. I can say that they have understood well because only a little they did mistakes.
•    Closing activities
We gave them an evaluation by asking them to answer the question wroten in the whiteboard in the a piece of paper. And for the reflection we asked them to draw an emoticon whether they were happy, so so, or boring during our teaching. We’re so happy when we corrected the evaluation task because almost of them got a good score.
In the last day I was in SMAN 54, Bu Anna taught my partner and I how to give score and how we know whether or not our teaching was success.  And I was so happy knowing that about 83% students got a good score by calculating a formula.
0 Responses